- Uploading new media files and sharing it in the course
- Importing a previously uploaded video or media file
- Linking to existing media using a URL to the resource
The illumira Media browser allows users to upload and manage content within the entire course in Canvas.
Uploading new media files and sharing it in the course
:The source tab allows the user to specify where the system should pick up the media file from and optionally set the media encoding parameters. To view a complete list of allowed file types please view this support article here
- Upload from device: Users can upload a video or an audio file of up to 5 GB* from their computers, tablets and phones using this option. To begin uploading a file, click on the 'Select a file' option. Additionally if the device browser supports HTML5, users can also drag and drop a file into the highlighted area to initiate the upload. Please do not close the browser tab till the upload process is completed. The user can however provide descriptive metadata information as well as share and listing permissions while the upload process is in progress.
*Only when the device browser supports HTML 5. Not valid for Internet Explorer version 9
- HTTP/FTP: Users can also upload a file using HTTP/FTP links additionally all files greater than 2 GB in size require to be uploaded via this option. To upload a file from a FTP/HTTP server click on 'HTTP/FTP' tab. Enter the HTTP or the FTP URL of the media resource. Users also have the option of using the built in FTP Browser to pick and choose the media file from their FTP locations.
- Using the FTP Browser: Click on 'HTTP/FTP' tab. Click on the 'FTP Browser' button. A dialog box will open where you can specify the host and other information of the FTP server. Click on 'Connect' to connect to the FTP server. A list of files in the FTP server will be shown. Navigate to the file or folder and select the file to upload.
Title: Enter the title of the video in this text field.
Users can upload more than one caption tracks in multiple languages. Click on the Upload button to select the corresponding .srt or .xml file from your computer. Select the language of the caption track and provide a label name denoting the language of the captions.
If the captions are valid, the captions will be shown in the video player, once the media is available on the website.
Importing a previously uploaded video or media file
Faculty/Administrators can use the import/pick media option to pick media which are available for them and add them into the course.
In addition to media listed under 'My Media', users also have the option to pick and choose files from other sources such as any created clips, any shared media etc.
The 'Select a source' option displays the collections and available media that can be added. Users can choose from:
· My Media (default view): This option lists all the media uploaded by the user or that to which the user is assigned as a 'co-owner' using the illumira Learning on Demand interface.
· My Clips/ My Favorites: These options will list all clips created by the user and any media starred (Favorite) by the user.
· Specify illumira URL: Faculty/Staff can specify the URL of any illumira media content that is is accessible by them to upload them to the course for the students to view.
Such titles may include media shared with them by another user as well as any illumira media that is publicly accessible.
· Pick a Collection: Users can click on this option to browse through institutional collections displayed as a hierarchical structure. The collections option lists all the institutional collections, containing media that are shared with the entire institution – such as commercial licensed videos, locally produced media content etc. In addition instructors can also see listed any hidden/unlisted collections as long as they have access to (i.e. shared with) at least one media object in that collection.
Using Search Functionality
Users can utilize the available search functionality to search for a media within the selected category item.
Importing Media using illumira URL:
Faculty/Staff can specify the URL of any illumira media content that is accessible by them to upload them to the course for the students to view.
Copy paste the media link into the text-box and click 'Add'. The title will be added to the media list.