In the illumira menu, under your login name, click on the menu item called 'Admin dashboard'. In the dashboard, click on "Manage Users" to take you to the User management screen.
The system then checks whether the user already exists in the system.
If the user already exists then his/ her account details are shown.
If the user does not exist then the ICM can fill in all the details about the user and select the collections that the user can upload and access and set the permissions the user has on those collections, as shown in the next step.
Enter the name, email and role information about the new user, you must specify the permissions for the user.
A special note for Institutions using local authentication or trialing the service : The email address you specify in the email field will be the address where the Login information for the new user is sent. Hence please make sure that the email is configured to receive emails from the illumira service, and are not marked as spam.
Institutional Administrators would see additional permissions fields as compared to ICM's.
Only IA's can grant the 'Manage License', 'Manage Interface', and 'Manage Statistics' permissions to other users. Refer next few steps for more details about these various permissions.
The next to the collection indicates that the user has not been assigned permissions to that collection. When you click on a particular collection you will see that the box expands to show a list of sub-options.
Some of the check boxes are selected by default. You can check/un-check them according to the role of the new user. Once the options have been selected, a
will appear next to the collections you have given access to.
A brief description of the options is given below:
- Can Upload Videos: When the user selects a collection. When checked, it gives the user the rights to upload a video to the system.
- Needs ICM approval for publishing: If checked, all the videos uploaded by the user will be in the unpublished state until the video is approved by the ICM or Administrator.
- Can share videos: When checked, it gives the permissions to the user to share the videos he/she uploads. It is checked by default.
- Can make videos publicly accessible: When checked, it gives permissions to share a video he/she owns with ‘Public’ i.e it allows a user to upload a video that can be accessed by anyone without requiring a login to that video, hence the the video is open for the public to view.This permission can only be granted if the 'Can share video' permission is present for that user.
- Manage Users: If Selected the user, is allowed to add, edit and delete users for that collection only.
- Manage Content and Users in this Collection and its sub-collections (Available only for IA's and ICM's who can create sub-collections) If Selected the user will be assigned as the ICM for that collection. The ICM has permissions to manage all videos and users for that collection and its sub-collections. See below for more information on this box.
- Create Sub-collections: If the above permission is checked, this option will automatically appear for selection. If selected, the users will be able to create sub-collections and also manage all aspects of the newly created or existing sub-collections
More on the Manage Content and Collection (ICM) option box (Only for Institutional Administrators)
The Manage Content and Collection option allows an Institutional Administrator (IA) to create a Institutional Collections Manager (ICM).
To create an ICM for a collection simply check a collection and check the the Manage Content and Collection option under that collection.
The user would then be assigned as the ICM for that collection with automatic permissions to manage users and videos of the selected collection and its sub-collections. Furthermore, if the "Can create sub-collections" checkbox is selected, the ICM will have extended permissions to create sub-collections and manage all aspects of the created sub-collections as ICM's. This ICM will also have the privilege to create or assign similar ICM’s with collection creation permissions for all the sub-collections they have access to. This feature will give the Institutional Administrators the flexibility of creating or assigning users that can create and manage their own collections, without having to deal with collection creation requests.
Note : A user can be made the ICM for more than one collection. Similarly a Collection can have more than one ICM's.
- ManageInstitutional Groups : If you wish to give the user access to be able to add/edit/delete institutional groups you can check the box 'Yes'. however please keep in mind that this user will have access to all all the groups created within an institution.
- View Commercial License Listing: Usually given to the librarians of that particular institution, allows the user to see the license expiry dates for all the Commercial videos licensed by that institution in illumira.
- Manage Interface: If given access will allow the user to modify the interface for the institutional branded web page. (Valid only if the institution has opted for the branded web page feature)
- View Statistits for All Institutional Videos : Will allow the user to see the viewing statistics for all videos viewed on the illumira portal by that institutions members.
- Camtasia Ingest Collection: If Camtasia Relay is configured and integrated with the Learning on Demand system for the institution, you will have an additional field to specify a default collection into which the user's camtasia relay videos will be deposited automatically.
About the 'User Status' field
The 'User Status' field allows an ICM to set a status on the user. For e.g a user can be Banned, Deleted, Rejected etc. The default status for a user is Approved.
Only a user with status 'Approved', can access and upload videos into Learning On Demand.
The user resides in one of the four statuses in Learning on Demand
Banned : User banned from Learning on Demand for a reasons decided by the Institutional Administrator, or the ICM. (e.g uploading objectionable/offensive content)
In Process: User requested access to Learning on Demand but not approved yet.
Rejected : User rejected access to Learning on Demand as decided by the Institutional Administrator, or the ICM.
Once all information has been filled up, click on the Submit Request Button.
Note (For Institutions setting up Guest Login accounts only ) :
If the account is for a Local authentication system, the user is added to the system and an activation email will be sent to the email address provided in the user account. The user will receive an email containing an activation link where the user can create his/her credentials to access the system. The link would be valid for 7 days from the date of the email.