- The Media browser tool shows all media files that are associated with the course in a list format.
- When a media file is added using the "Media player" tool, it is also shown in the Media browser tool as well.
- An instructor can allow student uploads using this tool and show/hide/delete such student created content from the browser tool.
- Students will use the media tool to upload media when that feature has been enabled by the course instructor.
To add a media browser tool to a course page, select your 'course' after logging in to Moodlerooms for which you are authorized to make changes. Click on the 'Turn Editing On' button on the top right hand side corner and follow the steps demonstrated below to upload a media resource.
Once you have turned the editing 'ON' for your course page, navigate to the 'Add an activity' drop-down for your desired week and select the General tool option under the External tools menu from the drop-down list.
Once you select the option from the drop-down as shown in the previous step you will be directed to the information page:
1. Enter a suitable title and description for your video in the 'Activity Name' field
2. Select the illumira Media Browser option from under the External tool type dropdown list
2. Select the Embed without blocks option from under the Launch Container option
Click on Save and Display once all options have been selected. The media browser tool will show the instructor options (not available to students) to upload, import or embed files using URL.
Additionally the user also sees the Course Settings which is used to enable student uploads.
To begin uploading new media content, select the Upload Media option from the interface.
A brief description of the options available is provided below:
Source: The source tab allows the user to specify where the system should pick up the media file from. To view a complete list of allowed file types please view this support article here.
1. Upload: If you wish to upload a file from your local computer, click on the Upload tab and click on 'Select a file'. A dialog box should open up where you can select a file from your computer. A progress bar displays the status for the video upload. Please allow the file to be uploaded completely before submitting your video. The upload interface only allows a user to upload a file up to 2 GB. All files equal or larger should be uploaded via URL option as described in the next step.
2. Enter URL of Media file: Users can also upload a file using HTTP/FTP links additionally all files greater than 2 GB in size require to be uploaded via this option. To upload a file from a FTP/HTTP server click on 'HTTP/FTP' tab. Enter the HTTP or the FTP URL of the media resource. Users also have the option of using the built in FTP Browser to pick and choose the media file from their FTP locations.
3. Using the FTP Browser: Click on 'HTTP/FTP' tab. Click on the 'FTP Browser' button. A dialog box will open where you can specify the host and other information of the FTP server. Click on 'Connect' to connect to the FTP server. A list of files in the FTP server will be shown. Navigate to the file or folder and select the file to upload.
4. Title: Enter the title of the video in this text field.
Once ready the user would need to click on the button to create a record for the media and for the media to be uploaded. The media is uploaded and added to the course. The media is encoded automatically by the system, and once ready the media is available for the users to view.
Faculty/Administrators can use the Import media option to pick media which are available for them and add them into the course. Select the Import media option to begin the process.
The 'Select a category' dropdown displays the collections and available media that can be added.
Users can choose from:
· My Videos (default listing): This option lists all the media uploaded by the user or that to which the user is assigned as a 'co-owner' using the illumira / Merit Cloud Media website.
· My Clips/ My Favorites: These options will list all clips created by the user and any media starred (Favorite) by the user.
· Collections: The collections option lists all the institutional collections, containing media that are shared with the entire institution – such as commercial licensed videos, locally produced media content etc.
The user can pick and choose any media that needs to be added to the course assignment/description.
The available search functionality lets users search for a media within the selected category item. Users can also see listed next to each media if it is already added to a course and choose to remove it.
Users can specify the URL of any illumira content that is shared with them and the media will be automatically added to the course.
The Media browser tool lists all the content that has been uploaded or made available within a course including any media available within course weekly outlines.
Video Playback: Click on any media title to view its description and play it.
The following are the options available to faculty and administrators for the media listed in the interface.
- Hide: The hide option if enabled would simply keep the video invisible to all course students. Faculty/administrators would still be able to see the video listed in the course.
- Remove from list: This option will remove the video from the course list permanently. However if required the video can be added again to the list using the import media option.
- Delete: This option is only available for media uploaded by the user. When selected the media will be deleted and removed from all assignments and courses that it is available.