Understanding the Administrative Hierarchy is important as it will allow the Institutional Administrator to optimize the usage of the LOD service.
A brief description of the roles specified in the permission structure are provided below:
1. Institutional Administrator (IA)
The Institutional Administrator is the topmost level user at an institution and can perform the following functions:
- Can create collections within the top level institutional collection. Can also assign ICMs to any of the created collections, including ICMs with collection creation abilities.
- Can add, manage as well as view all media content that has been created by the institutional users.
- Can manage Institutional branding and assign users to do so.
- Can manage integration with Camtasia relay and LTI tools, as well as assign default institutional collections for them.
- Can create institutional groups as well as assign users the permission to do so.
- Can assign users non-collection specific administrative permissions such as :
- Managing Institutional groups
- Viewing commercial license listing
- Viewing statistics for institutional media.
- Managing branding for institution.
- Manages account storage and ensures accounts do not exceed the storage limit.
- Serves as the illumira point of contact for each institution; is generally responsible for training all users within the Institution.
- Can assign other users as ICMs for any of the created sub-collections.
- Has all privileges of the Institutional Collection Manager (see details below).
An administrator at a collection level, this user has the following permissions within illumira
- Can add and mange users who wish to upload media into the collection
- Can upload media and manage them for the collection that the user is assigned to AND all existing sub-collections.
- Can modify metatdata and mana
- This scope for management functions includes changing permissions, deletion, and access roles for all users and media.
4. Members with 'Manage Users' Permission:
These users have the basic administrative permission of having ability to add and manage users only for the collection they have been assigned. They may or may not have permissions to upload media.
5. Users with Media Upload Permissions:
These users would be the faculty and/or students who would just be uploading their media and managing them. This permission is restricted to the collection that they have been assigned to. Users can have such permissions for more than one collection. However a user uploading from within an LMS doesn't require to be added prior, the user is dynamically added as a user with upload video permissions on the illumira LOD end for the LMS collection where the media is deposited.
If you have further issues or questions about the implementation of the Learning on Demand (LOD) service for your institution, please feel free to mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org